What comes to your mind when you think of avian motifs: prints, shapes, Alexander McQueen? Fashion is a certain type of story-telling that lets us become fragment of an unbelievable mythological world. The world where we can even fly.
In this fashion drawing tutorial, we are going to learn how to draw black feather. In particular, we will draw raven-type of feather, black and stiff. In addition to that, we will learn new lingerie vocabulary by rendering the look from the latest Victoria’s Secret fashion show.
BLACK FEATHER DRAWING TUTORIAL
• W&N* Black Promarker http://amzn.to/2hQkclr
• Prismacolor Premier black and white pencils http://amzn.to/2gNzBFl
• Sakura Micron black fineliner 0.1 http://amzn.to/2hyHRI8
• Glitter http://amzn.to/2gDrUy8
* Winsor&Newton. If you use markers of a different brand, check out this Promarker color chart to match the colors.
STEP 1 – WARM UP
Let’s practice drawing feathers that together form a wing.
1. Draw butterknife-like shapes of different length and width as shown below.
2. Arrange the shapes from the previous step into a wing. The edge of the wing should resemble inverted stairs.
3. Draw the wing from Step 2 and connect it with its copy flipped horizontally or vertically.
4. Make a fan out of several curved lines with the same starting point. Draw feathers on the top of those lines.
5. Take a white pencil and try different ways of showing highlights on a feather.
STEP 2 – SKETCH PREPARATION
In Step 3, we will follow a video tutorial, where I am showing how to render black feather on the wings of a Victoria’s Secret model. Moreover, we will draw gladiator sandals and learn some new fashion terms.
You can prepare your own sketch or you can download free printable templates that I’ve made for this class. Just click on the image below.
STEP 3 – SKETCH RENDERING
Grab your tools – we are at the most exciting part of our class. 👼🏼✨
STEP 4 – DESIGN PROJECT
Detach yourself from reality and explore your inner world of imagination!✨ How could you integrate black feather into your designs? Do you feel something elegant emerging in your mind? Or is it something savage? I am looking forward to seeing your illustrations in the comment section below 😉